Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My Weekend in Review...

This past weekend was yet another crazy busy one...Such is life though, I suppose. So, first things first...I know you're all dying to know what happened with the iPod cake, huh? Yeah, me too. Just kidding! So, I skipped using fondant only because I thought it'd be ridiculous to spend close to $40 to make a kid a cake. Some of this cost is because I no longer have my cake decorating supplies in my possession (like pastry bags, decorating tips, etc...). I bought a small set for $12, which had most of what I needed. Instead, I used regular icing, in fact, I cheated and used canned frosting. Some of you may be saying, "But Heather, that stuff is too soft to decorate with!" I totally agree, which is why I added powdered sugar to it and whipped it up with my hand mixer. I just added enough powdered sugar to make it workable. It still tasted all right too...Anyway, all I had to "smooth" the frosting was a butter knife and the back of a spoon (which worked rather well) because I don't have a spatula or one of those frosting knife-thingies. (I know, my cake decorating terminology is awesome, huh?) So, here's the finished product: Photobucket
Photobucket

It's not smooth and that sucked, but I was rushed for time to decorate it because I didn't want to do it too far in advance, you know? Still, I think it's pretty clear...And it turned out that the #4 writing tip is too big to write small enough on the "screen" of the iPod, which is why the song titles are missing. Oh well. Colin loved the cake...Well, you can see for yourself how much the kids liked it:


Nice, huh? At least they ate it...

In other news, I also went to a wedding and a WNBA game. The wedding was nice. I actually dressed like a girl, much to the astonishment of Phoenix...And I took a picture as proof. Photobucket
It was an all right wedding, but you know, if you're going to plan a wedding, make sure there's not like ninety minutes or longer of "down time" between eating and the setting up of the band...This wedding reception began with the intro of the wedding party (normal), then the first dance of the new couple (yeah, okay, I guess...I mean, if you're stretching for time before eating), then the dances with the father and daughter/etc (again, not the average thing, but whatever), then food, then absolutely nothing for 90 or more minutes, then some dancing, then cut the cake, then band breaks every so often. C'mon, I was bored stiff. Not to mention, I'm not much of a dance, you know, because I can't dance to save my life. Like you'd never catch me on, So You Think You Can Dance, because I know I can't. And I'd tell the producers of that show that too! Once Phoenix tried to pull me on the dance floor to do the Cha Cha Slide. Yeah, line dancing doesn't make my lack of rhythm any less obvious...Thanks, honey. I quickly ducked out of line and went back to my seat. I learned though that time is totally relative to how much fun you are having. For instance, an hour at Disneyland can feel like only moments when you're having fun, but if you're sitting at a table with people you don't have much in common with and can't really talk to because of the loud music, a few minutes can feel like an eternity. Trust me. I looked at my phone for the time like every two minutes or so. Phoenix almost took my phone away from me!! Eh, whatever.
As for the basketball game...I really enjoyed it. I didn't think I would at first, but then I was really getting into it and yelling with everyone else and Boo-ing the stupid LA Sparks. Yeah, the LA team won...Big jerks. Oh well. It was an awesome game and it was a non-stop thrill ride as the score was constantly flipping back and forth. Phoenix was in the lead, then LA, then Phoenix, then, well, you get the point. And they got the longest time outs I've ever seen in my life. I remember as a kid when I played, our coach would call time out and I swear, as soon as we got to him and he'd open his mouth, the ref would be yelling that time out was over! During these time outs, people danced on the court, marched around the court to show their support, other games were played (like these two older ladies competed for tickets to Disneyland or something by shooing baskets), etc...Here's a quick slide show so you can see the game from through my eyes...Oh yeah...Anyone know what the Phoenix Mercury mascot is? I swear he (Scorch is his name) looks kind of like a kangaroo or possibly an armadillo...Or maybe a cross between the two. He moves too quickly though to a get clear shot. Anyway, that's it for me, folks...Hope everyone had a great weekend...(PS: I appreciate the comments, guys...I cannot comment back though for some reason. It always shows it's going to post, but then nothing. And as good as otter pop glazed wings sounded, I went with teriyaki wings. lol)


I had the video ready, but for some reason, it won't let me load it on here. I'm going to see if I can get it to work later.

No comments:

Post a Comment