Saturday, September 25, 2010

I feel like Steve Martin in The Jerk...

Notice I titled it "I feel like Steve Martin in The Jerk," not, "I'm a Jerk." Are we clear? Good. Moving on...


All right, so yesterday was the last day of training, which is awesome and scary and who the hell knows what else it is? I'm super stoked that I got out on time and so very, very scared that I'm on my own now. It's like, "We've taught you all we can. Get the hell out." And then they kicked me out of safety of training. Bah! Whatever. I'll be fine. *crosses fingers and toes* Let me tell you what it was like to be taken out of training...


On Thursday I got to go have a ten or fifteen minute meeting with my new team leader and my trainer. Mostly my trainer went over what I know and what I don't, which wasn't much...Of what I don't know, not what I do know. God, have a bit of faith in me you big jerk!! Anyway, so, my new team leader tells me that I don't have a desk yet because they're in the process of moving people around, but by Friday afternoon, I'd have one. I shrugged and said, "Cool." It wasn't like I was going to move on Thursday, so what'd it matter? Before going back to the safety of the training area where the friends I've made throughout training and my coaches were, my team leader agreed we should meet at 2:15 on Friday afternoon. Groovy. Time off the phones!!


Here comes Friday. I go to work already feeling a bit, um, mopey, I guess. I didn't want to give up my cube-mates. I mean, I had my good buddy, Eliza (By the way, she's not fond of this name...lol), another girl with the same name as me, and the nice gay guy. I liked my cubies. I mean, the British woman talked mad shit to me constantly and put me in my place whenever I was feeling rather egotistical and we all know I need this daily whipping to keep me in line! And at no point in time did anyone ask me who I wanted to sit by in my new team, which means it's unlikely that I'll get people like my current cubies, right? So, in to work I go with heavy heart...It was Friday, so it was very busy. Within my first few calls, I had two who demanded to speak to my supervisor because I couldn't wave fees for them or drop their interest rate. Umm...Okay, whatever. Neither was particularly pissed at me, just at the situation, I think. I went through the motions with each call to try to make some sales because I had to reach at least 100 points in sales to get my bonus with those points...On Friday morning, I was 82 points and Phoenix had, more or less, told me not to come home unless I got those other 18 points. I had had a lousy week of sales, so I figured I'd be sleeping in the street last night. By like my fifth call I got five more points! Woo hoo!! Only 13 more to go. Then I got a string of calls with a particular card that does not have sales opportunity. I took call after call like this until I was like, "Come on! I need points! Just give me a chance!" My very next call was a woman with a regular card...And I upgraded her for 40 points! YES! I could go home!! I was super stoked! Phoenix would love me again. *grins*


I didn't get any more points, but it didn't matter...I only cared that I had made it over the 100 mark at that point in time. By the time lunchtime rolled around, I was exhausted. It was back to back calls all morning. As I signed off for our hour lunch for a pizza party, I heard a couple of trainers come over to talk to our coaches. They asked if we could all be out of our desks before 2pm because another class of learners were coming up to take our place...In the words of Stephanie Tanner, "How rude!" One of the coaches went off to find boxes for us. We didn't have to get back on the phones after lunch since we had to pack all of our belongings and then head to our new teams. I shoved all my stuff into a box and then chatted with my training buddies until 2pm. Then we headed over to our teams. My team leader was no where to be found, so I stood by my training buddy with my same name's desk as she unpacked. From her desk, I'd be able to see my team leader when she returned to her desk...


After standing around for a good twenty-five minutes or so, I finally asked a team leader nearby if my team leader was around. Apparently, she had called in sick...And I still didn't have a desk...Or a place to put my box of papers and pictures to decorate my cubicle...I felt like Steve Martin in The Jerk. Just me and my box of stuff..."All I need is this picture of Phoenix and me at Disneyland...And this South Park character picture of my cubie, Eliza...And this paper. That's all I need...And this award for a good survey score...That's all I need." I felt so rejected. No one was welcoming me to the team. No one had even bothered to get me a desk. *sniffle, sniffle* Don't they know who I am??? I'm The White Spy! Okay, maybe not, but I'm someone!! And if I'm not yet, I will be someday...Someday the world will laugh at me. Wait, not like that...You know what I mean.


I ended up stashing my box of crap by my team leader's desk...And I'm hoping no one takes any of it. There's nothing great in there, but it's my stuff, you know? It made me sad though because I had expected it to go differently. After that experience, me and the other girl with my name went downstairs to a meeting. At this meeting, they award us for our great surveys...They gave me a certificate for one great survey...I had five great surveys. Five. Not one. I felt like a moron. They always screw up the amount I have. I think I've only been rewarded/awarded for like half of the ones I've had. *sighs* Whatever. It doesn't matter, I'm sure.


I finally escaped work at 3:30 and jumped into the car to be whisked away to the movies to see Easy A with Phoenix and her niece. I had asked Phoenix to bring me some shorts, specifically a pair of jean shorts, so could take off my work pants. I would just change in the car. She said, "Sure!" Somehow, she ended up bringing me my Army green shorts, which did not match with what I was wearing...So much for getting to wear shorts or dressing like a normal person at the movies. I simply felt Steve Martin in The Jerk for most of the day yesterday...You know, like him in the movie when he hits rock bottom...At least that's over with. Maybe I'll get a desk on Monday...Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment