Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Complete and utter crap!

Yesterday I went into work curious to find where they are going to put me. Here's my dilemma- If I leave the deli, I will get a $2 an hour pay cut (or right around there), which sucks. On the plus side, if I move away from the deli, I won't be worked like a slave every night, unless they make me doing stocking, which would probably suck too. Whatever. So, I got to work and asked the deli manager dude about it and he said, "They don't know what to do with you." Yeah, me neither...*rolls eyes* He then brings over two pairs of yellow gloves for me and Tortilla to try on and use for washing the dishes. These would probably work if I was using the small sink in my apartment for washing dishes. However, we have industrial-sized sinks for our huge pans and such, so the gloves that come up to just above my wrists don't do much to protect me from the acid-like soap. I didn't even bother trying them. Tortilla did, but she had to keep draining water out of the sink to make sure not to get the water on her arms. Hmmm...What about water splashing? I'm sure there are perfect people out there who don't splash water when they wash dishes, but I am not one of them.


Later, while Tortilla was on her break, one of the other managers came by and asked if I had used the gloves. I said no because they aren't that long and I'm afraid of getting the soap on my arms too. Apparently, they aren't getting how irritated my skin becomes from this shit. She said, "Oh, well, you should try them. I'm ordering longer ones too; they'll go to your elbow." *looks unconvinced* I also asked her about this weekend since we're going to Sedona and I asked for it off since I had these plans before I started working there; they scheduled me to work. She said, "Oh, I'll call Smokey and ask her." That was the end of it. Seriously, grow some balls and make a decision!


I'll get to the good stuff in a moment, but first, I would like to share some serious BS with all of you...Our hose broke out of nowhere last week, like when we turned it on, water sprayed from the wall and barely out of the hose. So, we told the managers; they blew it off because they're not the ones trying to hose down the floor, now are they? So, we made do with it. Yesterday, we told the deli manager...He said, "Oh yeah. I took a part off it and forgot to put it back." Sure enough, he fixed it in a matter of like 30 seconds. WTF!? Why would you disassemble our hose!? Then we said that the soap won't come out. He said, "No, it's fine." He didn't even check it. BAH! Also, our pump is broken to filter the fryers, so we can't use the "hose" to rinse down the fryers with the oil. Instead, we use a metal bowl to ladel oil to rinse down the crumbs. Nice, huh? A man saw me last night and said, "Honey, you're going to burn yourself!" I said I knew that, but it was the only way; his response was tell them to do it themselves. I laughed, but seriously, they'd just write me up, you know? Nothing quite like scooping hot oil in a metal bowl though. Your fingers will be on fire in no time. While not fixing our equipment and being jerks in general, they also made a woman who works there on weekends put in her two weeks notice. Apparently, they told her she had to be available all the time and not just at nights on weekends...So, she said, "I quit." Can't say as I blame her, you know?


Now, for the icing on the cake. Last night they posted the schedule for Thanksgiving. I had no idea if we were going to be open all day or what. Apparently, we are. We're only closed on Christmas Day. Good thing it's a family-oriented company, huh? So, whatever. I knew I was going to have to work, so I prepared myself and looked. I work 3-9:30...Alone. *stream of curse words* Seriously? Not only do I have to miss every last bit of freakin' Thanksgiving, but I'm going to do it by myself??? There'll be no one to cover me if I have to go to the bathroom or take a break. I'm supposed to do the dishes even though their skin-dissolving soap kills my hands. FUCK WALMART! Seriously, fuck them. I am so done with being treated like crap. They could've scheduled us in shorter shifts so that no one had to completely miss their meal. They could've done something, but nooooooooooooo!! They have to be ass monkeys. Apparently, they have yet to learn that lesson about keeping employees happy. You keep them happy, they work harder and better for you. But piss them off and all hell will break loose...So, not only will I not be with my California family for the holiday, but I won't even be with my Arizona family either...*growls*


So, in the spirit of being a complete ass monkey, please allow me to warn you of a few things...I cannot speak for all grocery stores, but I'm sure they have similar practices...Do not buy the garlic bread prepared in the deli. I'll tell you right now that it's very seldom fresh bread. And more often than not, it's old bread. Do not buy the sandwiches prepared in the deli either. The bread is usually fresh as it's sent to us frozen, but sometimes they tell us to use the French bread that's old. Plus, we make the sandwiches in huge batches, so those first sandwiches sit out on the "Cart of Sandwiches" for a long time before being put back in the fridge. The same thing happens when they have to put pricetags on them before putting them out for sale. Trust me, you don't want these things because you might get sick since they aren't kept at a constant temperature all that often. Don't buy stuff from the deli hot case unless you see us putting it in there fresh. More times than not, when I get to work, the case is full of food from God only knows when and I'll serve that all night long. Mmm...Nothing quite like seven-hour old chicken. Oh, and we found a dead cockroach in our walk-in fridge. Where there's one, there's more. In short, don't shop at my store...

2 comments:

  1. awesome...im never buying anything from a walmart deli

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the info, i would take the pay cut and go to a different department while i searched for a new job.. jeanne

    ReplyDelete