Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving...

So, yesterday, I was holding out hope that perhaps I wouldn't have to work, but I was prepared to have to work. I called a couple of hours before my shift to ask what time the deli would be closing, but the manager I needed (Smokey) wasn't there yet. An hour before my shift, she was finally there and in a crappy-ass mood. (And yes, "crappy-ass" is a technical term for what her mood was.) I asked what time the deli closed and she responded, "Well, maybe at six, but I'll decide later. It was so busy earlier and we don't want to miss out on the business." I don't know who "we" is, but it sure as hell didn't include me because I was all for missing out on business!! I went in to work, grumbling the entire way about my hatred for Walmart.


Once at work, I saw there were signs announcing the deli's closure at 6pm. My heart might've lifted slightly, but I had one hell of a day ahead of me to get out in three hours. I mean, they had chickens cooking and normally, after cooking the chickens, we spray the oven with this cleaner that has to "cook" for like an hour. Then it has to be wiped out (or sprayed with the hose if you're in a hurry and no managers are around...Of course, no one ever does that though...*shifty eyes*) and polished with Dazzle. *rolls eyes* They had a turkey cooking in our bread oven. And I think they expected us to bake some bread, but the bread was frozen and definitely not rising like it should, so I put it back in the freezer. LOL I was working with Tortilla and she was already taking down the case with the hot food when I got there, so I decided to start working too. I filtered the fryers and was cleaning in that area the first time Smokey came over and started talking shit. I was making a smart ass comment to Tortilla about something as I waited for the fryer to pump the oil from the filter holding unit thing to the fryer and we were laughing. Smokey then said, "You need to be working." And pointed out that I was laughing and not working. Apparently, she was butt hurt about being there...Odd though that she makes the schedule...Idiot.


A coworker of mine refers to Smokey as "the troll" which I think fits...She's so short and miserable like I would imagine a troll to be. And yesterday I saw this even more as she ran around the store barking orders at people. She just kept coming over to the deli to check on us and would yell at me to do other things, which weren't even necessary. She had Tortilla, at one point in time, dust mopping the floor in part of the store (not in the deli). She had me wiping down all the glass on the outside of the deli, which is normally done anyway, but she made sure I did it all and pointed out every last fingerprint she saw. *rolls eyes* And she had the balls to yell at me about how bad the display looked where we put the rotisserie chickens. I went out there to go wipe it out and saw that the "badness" she was talking about was a spot of something (probably juice from a chicken) like the size of a quarter. OMG! It's the end of the world as we know it!! Yeah, I get it--cleanliness is a necessity. Seriously though, it's a bit much when she's looking for shit to yell about, you know?


On the plus side, I didn't yell at any of our like one or two customers. And this crazy old lady who comes in and wants her ham cut so thin you can see through it came in and was sad to see me working...And told me I'm her favorite. Ahhh...How sweet. *gags* LOL Seriously, it was nice. She came in for a pie, but was asking me where they'd moved them to. Also, I decided that running through the store with the turkey we cooked for the crew and calling out, "Turkey! Come get your turkey!" while pushing it on a cart was probably not a good idea...Even though it was tempting. I figured I'd get written up or something...*grins* Perhaps on Christmas Eve I'll try that...And yes, I got turkey! That's all I wanted! No, not the shit from work. That didn't even smell good. I made it to Phoenix's mom's house at like 6:30 or so and warmed up a plate of food. Oh man, it was so good!!! I LOVE TURKEY!! And really, when else do people cook it? It's like Christmas and Thanksgiving are the only times I get it and I love it so much. So yeah...And I got a piece of pecan pie, which was good too.


We braved the sales this morning at Walmart. You know, there's just something not right about rolling out of bed at 4am to go shopping...We went with Phoenix's sister who was getting a TV and a laptop. We got the TV, but not the laptop. As for Phoenix and I, we got a Tom-Tom for us and some other gifts for people. We also bought ourselves a Wii game, even though we haven't actually bought the Wii yet...LOL Our Christmas list has Wii games on it too, yet we don't know when we're going to buy it...But we know we'll get one...eventually. I know, we're dorks.


Anyway, I hope everyone had a great holiday. I am thankful for the great people I have in my life (Phoenix, family, friends, etc...). I'm also thankful that I have a job, but it's not a job I like or feel I belong at, which is why it makes me so cranky. I apologize for my crankiness, but I'm sure you guys can feel for me...Not to mention, whereas Phoenix's family is like family to me now, I still miss my family. I don't get to see them often and it sucks, especially at the holidays. So, yeah...That's it for me. I have to get ready for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment