Saturday, January 16, 2010

"Here's a Benadryl...Go back to work..."

Walmart cares about their employees...Please allow me to tell you about how much they care.


On Thursday, I was scheduled 12-6:30, but apparently Smokey felt that was wrong because when she saw me she asked, "What're you doing here? Who told you to come in?" I said, "It's what I was scheduled. You told me we had to go by the schedule, remember?" She didn't like that, but she was happy when I said I would stay later since only Tortilla was closing that night. (They screw up the schedule all the time!!) So, Tortilla comes in with her right thumb in wrapped in a splint because she slammed it in the car door. Nice, huh? They said she could still work though..*rolls eyes*


So, even though I'm allergic to Walmart's stupid dish soap, I decided to slip on the gloves they bought me that come up to my elbows and wash some dishes while Tortilla was on break to try to help out since it's hard to scrub dishes with a messed up thumb. As I scrubbed, I noticed my arms were itching and burning. I decided that it was probably all in my head because I knew the water would make me itch, but the gloves were dry inside and there was no reason for it. (My hands were in my regular food handler's gloves inside these gloves.) So, I kept washing. When Tortilla came back, I told her about my itching arms and we laughed about how it was in my head...Finally, I took off the left glove and you know what? It wasn't in my head! My arm was all red with bumps. I yanked off the right glove and it was worse!! Well, here, you can see for yourselves...


Photobucket
Photobucket


After a few moments of freaking out about my arms, I went on a trek through the store to find Smokey. She was up front talking to the customer service ladies. I waited for her to shut up for a moment so I could speak, but before I could even start saying something, one of the customer service women pointed at my arms, horrified, and said, "Look at her arms!" I then explained that I had been trying to help by doing the dishes and this is what happened when I used the gloves. Of course, Smokey had to ask the obvious, "Did you get water in the gloves?" I said I hadn't. She then said, "Well, you need Benadryl." We took a walk to the pharmacy part of the store and got a box of Benadryl. She opened it and started to hand me two, but I said, "Two will put me to sleep," so she gave me one. Of course, I had to buy a water to take it with, but I got the Benadryl tablet for free. *rolls eyes* Even though my arms were bright red, burning like fire, and itching as though I had just rolled around in some poison ivy, I was expected to get back to work. I worked for another almost two hours with my arms itching. Of course, the Benadryl helped, but it also made me a bit sleepy...WTF?


We see though how much Walmart cares for their employees...They'll give you drugs at work as long as it'll make you able to work. Yesterday when I got there, Smokey came to see me and asked how my arms were. I told her they were still a little itchy, but getting better. She said, "Oh good. I was afraid you'd call out because of them." I just shook my head and walked off. They care not at all for our well-being--They care only that we are still able to work. Also, let this be a lesson that no good deed goes unpunished...I was only doing the dishes to help, but it came back to bite me in the ass.

2 comments:

  1. I worked at Walmart a long time ago and they really don't care about employees, you could be dying and as long as you show up and they can do whatever the heck they want life is good, You call out and you are punished for weeks. UGH play more lotto

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may have a latex allergy to the gloves. Love the names Smokey and Tortilla. Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete