Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I'll probably look like a zombie come 6am!

Last night I worked an overnight shift at work. It was only a one time thing and I only did it to be nice. My pharmacy lead (In a regular store, he'd be the manager of the OTC pharmacy, but Walmart calls them "leads". This is probably so they don't have to pay them more money.) asked me if I'd work overnight with him to reset our vitamin aisle. I agreed, much to Phoenix's chagrin. I figure it was like pay back for all the times she works early shifts, wakes me up, and makes it impossible for me to go back to sleep. *grins* Just kidding!! Sorta...


Anyway, so last night was the appointed night and I forced myself to sleep for a short while yesterday evening...It only took two Tylenol PMs and a Benadryl to knock me out. I went in to work and was teased by the night manager who said I was now a "zombie". I said, "I'll probably look like a zombie come 6am." He laughed. He swore he would see me with a Rockstar in my hand by 2 or 3 am...He was wrong. I didn't even make it to midnight! Just kidding! I had a soda at midnight and a Poweraid later, but I was fine. It took me and the lead, we'll call him, "The Ruiner". Apparently, this is what his wife calls him because he breaks things...Probably not on purpose; he's just sort of rough around the edges. But I digress...It took the Ruiner and me nearly 6 hours to complete the aisle. I think, out of all the vitamins on the aisle, that maybe 20 kinds stayed in their original spot. The rest had to be moved and we had to reset the spacing on the push-shelve-things. (Sliders. Whatever the hell they're called.) According to Walmart, it was supposed to take 3 people at least 8 hours to complete it. So, I think we rocked it.


As I worked, I came to realize a few strange things. First, Walmart is eerily quiet and calm at around 1am. Like there were no customers and it was not such a bad place to hang out. Second, the night crew take all their breaks and lunch together...Like the manager announces when it's time to take a break or to take lunch. For some reason, I suddenly felt like a worker in a factory...Or even worse, like someone in 1984. I was scared the thought police were going to come get me. Third, the whole night crew seemed to smoke. Seriously, when it was break time, they were busting out packs of smokes and heading outside. Fourth, come 2-3am, a cigarette sounds mighty tempting. No, I didn't smoke.


Here's a question I have for everyone...Who the hell goes big grocery shopping at midnight or later? For the love of God, shop like a normal person! When I went to buy my soda, I had to stand in line behind a woman with a cart over-flowing with groceries and a drunk man buying a Marie-Calendar's Pot Pie. It took forever for this woman to pay for her groceries too. When I was done paying for my drink, I looked back to see two other women with overflowing carts. WTF? Is that a special time to go shopping? Or do these women wait for their children to fall asleep and then take off? I don't get it...


Also, yesterday, I had my last physical therapy appointment. Can I tell you how great it felt to be able to say "Peace Out" to them? Don't get me wrong, it was helpful, but fuck, I hate trying to workout and having someone standing there watching my every move. Like sometimes I just wanted to ask, "Do you like watching the fat girl workout? Is this fun for you?" Of course, I never said these things, but it's how I felt. I'm glad to be done though. Yesterday, when I was about halfway through my workout, an older woman came in. She was in there one other time with me and she's pretty funny. The previous time, she had said to me, "You make it all look easy." I said it wasn't easy at all. Then later had asked, "Please tell you're some kind of athlete. You make it look far easier than you should." I only laughed and shook my head. I didn't share with her that the only type of athlete I was qualified to be was a Sumo Wrestler. So, she comes in yesterday and has a good laugh when my physical therapist had me try some other exercise where he put a giant rubber band-like thing around my ankles and made me do side-steps to stretch it out. Seriously, not cool. As I was leaving, she told me that I was an inspiration to her. She had a total knee replacement a year ago. She's also had some other surgeries, so she's doing like total physical therapy. I have no idea how I'm an inspiration...I was a little touched though. Before I left, I wished her the best of luck. Seriously though...How the hell was I an inspiration? Because I went through my workout and didn't complain? Or because I pushed aside the pain and did it anyway? Who knows? I do wish her luck though. However, I am super excited that I don't have to get up early to go there anymore! WOO HOO!!!


I guess that's it for now...I was thinking about a blog earlier, but then I dozed off for a while and I cannot for the life of me remember what it was...Oh well. Until next time...Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment